Pages

Friday, November 9, 2012

Dermalogica Special Cleansing Gel Review



Dermalogica Special Cleansing Gel (AUD 53 for 250ml) Recommended for all skin conditions. A soap-free, foaming gel designed to thoroughly remove excess oils and impurities without drying the skin. Contains no artificial fragrance or color.


The product is a runny, clear gel which lathers into a light foam when worked with some water. Only a pea size/5 cents size amount is sufficient. I've used my 50ml bottle (1x daily) for 2 months now and I'm only halfway through. I'm not good with scents, but I'd say it smells mildly of essential oil, lavender oil to be exact, which I find very pleasant.



Important thing to note about this cleanser is that it requires quite some effort to lather up. I know there are people who can't be bothered spending the extra time but just like with any foaming cleanser, when you don't lather it enough, it will NOT cleanse properly. The cleanser has to look 'white' (LOTS of tiny bubbles) before you slap it on your face. But who doesn't like lathering anyway? I find it really fun, it's like trying to whip egg whites into the meringue stage, a process I find quite magical! Right.. ? Ok never mind.


The packaging is a plastic bottle with a press top cap, a light squeeze is required to dispense the product. The 500ml bottle comes with a pump.



It performs well and I like it. This is not the type of cleanser that leaves your skin feeling 'squeaky clean'. Often when a foaming cleanser leaves that 'squeaky clean' feeling (like washing your hands with soap), it leaves behind tightness, which is a sign that the cleanser may have 'stripped' the skin off its natural protective barrier. Our skin needs that barrier to prevent moisture loss and bacteria from thriving. With this cleanser, it leaves my skin feeling clean, refreshed and supple.


Ingredients:
Water (Aqua), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Disodium Lauroamphodiacetate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Hexylene Glycol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Extract, Melissa Officinalis Leaf Extract, Quillaja Saponaria Bark Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, PPG-5-Ceteth-20, Citric Acid, Sodium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben.


My thoughts:  
I watched my bf (like a hawk just to make sure he uses it right) use this cleanser once and I was rolling my eyes and shaking my head all at once. All he did was wet his hands and face, squeeze some cleanser, rub his hands together, slap both hands on face and start cleansing. Where's the foam?! So I guess this would be the only negative about this cleanser; it takes a while to lather. I don't mind it, but I guess for people who can't be bothered with lathering, this could be too much work.

From a few other reviews I've read, many people seem to find this cleanser expensive. For a professional skincare brand, if compared to the many cleansers selling in departmental stores, honestly I don't find the Special Cleansing Gel to be expensive. 250ml is just about enough to last me one year, which is not steep at all.

If you're looking for a cleanser that HAS to do more than just cleansing, look further. If you like a basic cleanser that cleanses well without stripping, and like me you enjoy lathering (please tell me I'm not alone in this...), definitely give this a try!

Pros: Cleanses well, doesn't strip skin
Cons: Doesn't lather easily

Price & Availability:
AUD 53 at Dermalogica counters or Dermalogica website.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to use alot of Dermalogica stuff but I find Simple cleansers do the same job but of course with a drugstore price tag. :D

❤ Ee Von said...

Every skin is different, unfortunately a lot of drugstore/supermarket cleansers are way too stripping for my skin. I'm glad you found a product for you that works well at an affordable price :)